What is Wisdom Tooth Surgery?
Wisdom teeth, also known as third molars, are the last set of teeth to emerge in the oral cavity. They typically erupt between the ages of 17 and 25. However, many individuals experience complications when their wisdom teeth do not have enough space to properly grow and develop. In such cases, treatment may be necessary to alleviate pain, prevent dental issues, and maintain oral health. Let’s explore the treatment options available for wisdom tooth problems, including the procedure, associated costs, as well as the advantages and disadvantages of the different approaches.
Wisdom teeth are the third and final set of molars that develop at the back of the mouth. Most individuals have four wisdom teeth, one in each corner of the mouth. These teeth were originally necessary for our ancestors who had larger jaws and needed the extra chewing power. However, due to evolutionary changes, the modern human jaw has become smaller, making it difficult for wisdom teeth to emerge properly.
Wisdom Tooth Treatment Procedure:
The treatment for wisdom teeth varies depending on the specific problem and the individual’s oral health. Here are some common wisdom tooth treatment procedures:
- Extraction: Extraction is the most common treatment for problematic wisdom teeth. If the teeth are impacted (trapped beneath the gum line or jawbone) or cause pain, infection, or damage to adjacent teeth, extraction may be necessary. The dentist or oral surgeon will administer local anesthesia or sedation to ensure a comfortable experience during the procedure. They will then carefully remove the wisdom teeth using specialized tools. The recovery period typically involves some swelling and discomfort, which can be managed with pain medication and following post-operative instructions.
- Surgical Removal: In cases where the wisdom teeth are deeply impacted or have complex root formations, a surgical approach may be required. Surgical removal involves making an incision in the gum tissue to access the tooth and remove it. This procedure is often performed under general anesthesia or intravenous sedation. After surgery, patients will need to follow specific aftercare instructions to promote healing and prevent complications.
- Partial Extraction (Coronectomy): Coronectomy is a procedure recommended when the wisdom tooth is closely situated to a nerve that supplies sensation to the lower jaw and lip. Instead of removing the entire tooth, only the crown portion is extracted, leaving the roots intact. This technique helps reduce the risk of nerve damage. However, it is typically only considered in specific cases where the tooth poses a high risk of complications.
Cost of Wisdom Tooth Treatment:
The cost of wisdom tooth treatment can vary depending on several factors, including the complexity of the case, the need for surgical intervention, the region, and the dentist’s experience. In general, simple extractions are less expensive than surgical removals. Additionally, the cost may include fees for anesthesia, X-rays, consultations, and follow-up visits. It is important to consult with your dentist or oral surgeon to obtain a detailed cost estimate based on your specific situation and location.
Advantages of Wisdom Tooth Treatment:
- Pain Relief: Wisdom tooth treatment can alleviate pain and discomfort caused by impacted or infected teeth.
- Prevention of Dental Issues: Removing problematic wisdom teeth can prevent the development of dental problems such as tooth decay, gum disease, and misalignment of adjacent teeth.
- Improved Oral Hygiene: Extracting wisdom teeth can make it easier to clean the back of the mouth, reducing the risk of bacterial accumulation and associated oral health issues.
- Avoiding Complications: Removing impacted wisdom teeth can help prevent complications like cyst formation, damage to nearby teeth, and infections.
When wisdom teeth cause pain, infection, or other dental issues, treatment becomes necessary to maintain oral health and alleviate discomfort. Extraction, surgical removal, or coronectomy are common procedures employed to address problematic wisdom teeth. The specific treatment approach, associated costs, and potential advantages and disadvantages should be discussed with a dental professional to make an informed decision based on individual circumstances. Remember, regular dental check-ups and timely intervention can help identify and address wisdom tooth problems before they become more severe.
Wisdom Tooth Treatment Clinics:
We provide the best healthcare facilities for Wisdom Tooth Treatment. Our multispecialty clinics are situated in the following locations:
Our Main Centre for Wisdom Tooth Surgery Treatment in Dadar, Mumbai
Our Centre’s for Wisdom Tooth Surgery
One can visit any of our branches that are nearby to your location for the best overall healthcare including dental treatment like Wisdom Tooth Treatment. Our experts not only provide superior quality care using the latest technologies but also provide complete treatment along with rehabilitation facilities and post-operative care.